Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Timing

Callie, the diabetic cat I couldn't take with me when I moved out, succumbed to her disease a little more than two weeks ago. It's hard times like that when I really miss my friend. Monty understood the connection I have to my pets. He once came over to bury a fish because I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Because of all the snow, and life, I haven't had a chance to write Monty or Guy in a while. Because of this, Monty called me the following Saturday after Callie's death.

Now, my boyfriend, Robin, was doing a fantastic job at keeping my mind on other things. He knows all about Monty (or, as much as I could stand to tell him) and supports that I support him. He was very kind and patient while I took those two phone calls.

Monty said that Guy mentioned he hadn't heard from me in a while. I guess Monty had to admit he hadn't either, and that's why he decided to call. Truly, his timing has always been that good, and he even remembered the fish and what he wrote on a little piece of paper left on the grave (“Here lies Prexus. He lived and died as a god should: worshiped, feared, and loved” Prexus was named after the Sea God of EverQuest, you see). He said he'd pass along to Guy what's been going on. I wrote them both a letter today.

I actually had a really bad morning, and found myself again wishing I could call Monty. I wrote about it in the letter and I think he was going to try to call again soon. In any event, it's times like this when I realize how much I really do miss my friend.

It hasn't even been a year. Will it get easier as time passes, or harder? Will communication grow more scarce as we all settle into the place our own lives has brought us? I think of him often. I do wish things had been different, but I’m glad to hear he’s trying to improve himself while he’s there. We still have such a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment