Wednesday, November 4, 2009

One Disappointment After Another

I have a lot more to update today.

You may remember when last I wrote I mentioned Monty had not called me. It turns out that he did call, several times. The problem was that my phone was not ringing. I called the billing service and was told it was one of two things: either I was not actually on his call list at the facility (a real possibility with the things that facility got wrong) or that somehow the call waiting feature on my cell phone was blocking the calls. I called my cell phone provider and the first guy I talked to said it was because their service doesn't accept collect calls (but, it is not a collect call, that's why we set up the prepaid account). This guy really did not sound like he wanted to help. I sent an e-mail to the group asking if anyone gets Monty's calls to their cell phones and what provider they have. If it's a feature of my provider, I need a new one, right? Ex-wife has the same provider I do and gets calls fine. So, I went back to the cell phone provider, where I spoke to another person who put me on hold for 10 minutes after hearing my problem. He sounded like he understood what I was talking about and wanted to help. He came back, apologizing for the misinformation I was given earlier, and said there is nothing wrong on their end and it has to be some problem either with my call account (which I already verified), or at the facility. This was Monday. I did ask m-i-l to tell him that it was some other problem and not that I'm just not answering my phone.

Tuesday is the only day we are allowed to visit. We had scheduled one for 6pm, and I was going to go with his mother, step-father, and grandfather. I got permission to leave work early to give me plenty of time to get downtown. I took a nap and worked on some crochet orders in the car because I did get there about an hour and a half before they would start processing. We went in, got frisked, went through the metal detectors, got seated at a table and waited. One of the guards came up and asked if we were waiting for Monty, upon our confirmation, he told us that his cell-mate just told him that Monty was transferred that morning. The guards didn't know. The guard who checked us in didn't know. The people we called in the afternoon didn't know. How in the world can you not know if an inmate is there or not?? We were so disappointed. There was so much I wanted to say.

Fast forward to today. After his m-i-l's rushing to get a new phone account set up (because the other one was specific to that facility and didn't transfer) he was finally able to call her (she is the designated point-of-contact). We found out that he did, indeed get moved to Oklahoma. This is also a temporary stop and he'll likely be there for a couple weeks before they move him to his long-term location. IN TEXAS.

Well, once again, I was going to write more but I can't deal with Texas right now.


  1. OMG TEXAS! how can that be? what about his family and friends being his support system? well i hope you can set up a new phone account soon and it works correctly.look at it this way it's a new phone location maybe they'll do it correctly.


  2. I suppose that was the only place that had the right level of security and a bed for him. That's the only explanation for Texas. I guess outside support doesn't matter to these people.

    As far as we have heard, which isn't much, the Federal system is a lot more together than the privately-run facility where he was for the first month. On that first call, he already reported better meals. The phone system is with a different company too. That had better mean I get my calls! Especially since a group of us will not be visiting every week like we tried to do while he was here. The old account is closed and the new one set up, so we'll see.

    I ended up leaving work early because concentration wasn't happening. I went home and watched some silly movies and worked on a crochet project.

    Still not dealing with Texas very well, though. Particularly after yesterday's visit-that-was-not.